GAME 45 VS SWIFT CURRENT
The Story Coming In
The Medicine Hat Tigers defeated the Edmonton Oil Kings 4-3 in a shootout on Wednesday night. The Tigers are now 24-16-2-2 and have only lost once in regulation since returning to action after the holiday break. Medicine Hat is led by veteran forwards James Hamblin with 52 points (23G, 29A), Ryan Jevne with 42 points (21G, 21A) and Brett Kemp with 41 points (24G, 17A).
Tigers vs. Broncos
The Tigers and the Broncos play a home and home series this weekend that starts in Swift Current. The two hockey clubs have only met once this season with the Tigers coming out on top in a 2-0 game. Rookie goaltender Mads Søgaard stopped 48 shots to earn his first career shutout while Ryan Chyzowski scored both Tigers’ goals early in the game. Medicine Hat is 6-7-0-0 against Swift Current over the past five years.
View from Swift Current
The Swift Current Broncos fell 2-0 to the Kootenay ICE Tuesday night and they are now 9-31-2-1. The Broncos are led by rookie forward Ben King with 23 points (5G, 18A) and veteran forwards Ethan Regnier with 22 points (7G, 15A) and Carter Chorney with 19 points (11G, 8A).
Ryan Chyzowski returned to the Tigers’ lineup Wednesday night after being out for a week with a lower-body injury. Chyzowski scored the game-tying goal against the Oil Kings with 34.3 seconds left to play in regulation. The 18-year-old Kamloops native has a nose for the puck and he is not afraid to mix it up. Look for Chyzowski to crash the net and create scoring opportunities in tonight’s tilt.
Captain James Hamblin is a hard worker who competes every shift. Hamblin is traditionally a pass-first kind of player but he also has a great scoring touch leading his team with 52 points (23G, 29A) so far this season. The 19-year-old Edmonton product was drafted in the first round of the 2014 Bantam draft by the Tigers and since then he has suited up for 238 games, scoring 69 goals and assisting on 98. Hamblin is a skilled, two-way forward who will look to make an impact in both ends of the ice tonight.
- The Tigers’ away record is 10-10-0-1
- Daniel Baker leads all Tigers rookies with 13 points (2G, 11A)
- James Hamblin is leading the team in +/- with 20.
- Goaltender Mads Søgaard has been selected to play in the Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospect game Jan 23rd in Red Deer. Søgaard will suit up for Team Cherry and he is ranked as B prospects by NHL Central Scouting. Ryan Chyzowski and Brett Kemp are ranked as C prospects.
- Tigers Alumni Kelly Hrudey will coach Team Orr during the Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospect.
- Goaltender Mads Søgaard is ranked 4th in the league for GAA with 2.36 and 2nd in the league for save percentage with 0.931.
- The AMA Skate with the Tigers is Sunday, January 20th from 2 to 3 PM. Everyone is welcome.
- The Tigers’ Annual ATB Skills Competition will be Tuesday, January 29th at 7:00 p.m. Team Hamblin will take on Team Jevne and it is a suggested $5 donation to the MS Society at the door.
- Eric Van Impe is the Tigers’ Academic Achiever of the month of December.
About the Medicine Hat Tigers
The Medicine Hat Tigers are a junior hockey team in the Western Hockey League (WHL) who play out of Medicine Hat, AB and were established in 1970. In 48 seasons of playing major junior hockey, the Tigers have won 2 Scotty Munro Memorial Trophies, as well as, 210 playoff games which led to winning 43 playoff series, raising 33 banners, winning five Ed Chynoweth Cups and two Memorial Cups.