GAME 62: @ CALGARY
@ HITMEN: Tonight the Tigers look for the season sweep against the Hitmen having won the previous 5 meetings this year. The Tigers have dropped 2 of their last 3 games while being shorthanded due to illness which has struck the team hard. The Hitmen have been streaking as of late, having won 3 straight games and unbeaten in their last 5.
BY THE NUMBERS
FEBRUARY 24th, 2017
2016-17 WHL RANKINGS:
Central Division: 1st
Eastern Conference: 2nd
HENDERSON, HAMBLIN, RUBINS – Illness
SCHULTZ – Lower Body
Man Games Lost to Injury: 66
16-17 SEASON SERIES VS. HITMEN
LAST 5 SEASONS: 17-5-1-0
LAST WIN: Feb. 10, 2017 – 7-2
2016-17 CLUB LEADERS:
GOALS: MAX GERLACH (31)
ASSISTS: CHAD BUTCHER (62)
POINTS: CHAD BUTCHER (85)
PIM: ZACH FISCHER (117)
PLUS MINUS: CLAYTON KIRICHENKO (+40)
WINS: NICK SCHNEIDER (30)
16-17 CLUB COMPARISON:
|PP OVERALL||29.5% (2ND)||17.3% (19TH)|
|PK OVERALL||80.0% (8TH)||74.0% (20TH)|
- Medicine Hat heads into tonight 7-3-0-0 in their past 10 games with the Hitmen sporting a 5-4-1-0 record over the same span
- Chad Butcher is the Tigers leading scorer against the Hitmen this season he has recorded 8 points in 4 games (4G, 4A)
- Calgary’s Beck Malenstyn and Matteo Gennaro lead in scoring against the Tigers with 6 points each in 5 games
- Medicine Hat comes into tonight having the second most road victories in the Eastern Conference and most in the Central Division and are 4-2-0-0 in their last 6 road game overall
TIGERS FAST FACTS:
- All 14 returning players for the Tigers have set new career highs in at least one category. James Hamblin has the highest differential scoring 34 more points than last season
- Calgary has played in the most overtime or shootout games within the WHL this season. Calgary has gone to an extra period 21 times this year, they are 11-10 in those games for a league high 32 points
- Tigers forward Matt Bradley has 4 points in his last 2 games (2G, 2A) and teammate Tyler Preziuso has 6 points in his last 6 games (6A)
DID YOU KNOW?: All rostered players this season for the Tigers have recorded at least a point against the Hitmen in 5 games.
1 AWAY TIMES 3: Three Tiger players (Bradley, Rassell, Fischer) are just 1 goal away from 30 on the season, joining Max Gerlach this year. The last time the Tigers had four 30+ goal scorers in one year was the 2003-2004 season when Chris St. Jacques, Darren Reid, Clarke MacArthur and Stefan Meyer completed the feat. It will be the 22nd time in franchise history the mark will be reached.
CLINCHED: After Wednesday’s win the Medicine Hat Tigers had learned they will be playing hockey past March 18th, having clinched a spot in the 2017 WHL Playoffs. It will mark the 38th time in franchise history the Tigers have reached the post season.
THIS DAY IN HISTORY: Head back to the 2006-07 season as the Tigers took on the Red Deer Rebels in the back half of a home and home set. Jerrid Sauer got the Tigers on the board first to close out the opening period with a 1-0 lead. Medicine Hat followed it up with goals from Gord Baldwin (7) and Chris Stevens (30) to extend the lead heading into the final period. Brennan Bosch scored his 18th of the year to complete a 4-1 victory. It was the Tigers 48th win on the season.
WHO TO WATCH: Tigers – John Dahlstrom: One of the leading scorers for the Tigers against Calgary this season. Dahlstrom has 7 points (2G, 5A) in 5 games. Hitmen– Beck Malenstyn: Always a thorn in the side of the Tigers Malenstyn leads in scoring tied with Gennaro with 6 points in 5 games and 32 penalty mins.
NHL DRAFTED / SIGNED PLAYERS: Matt Bradley (Montreal Canadiens), Nick Schneider (Calgary Flames), John Dahlstrom (Chicago Blackhawks), David Quenneville (New York Islanders)
|LAST FIVE REGULAR SEASON||RESULTS:||NEXT FIVE:||TIME:|
|Feb 11 VS. Lethbridge Hurricanes||5-0 WIN||@ Calgary Hitmen Friday February 24||7:00 PM (MT)|
|Feb 15 VS. Victoria Royals||3-1 WIN||VS. Brandon Wheat Kings Saturday February 25||7:30 PM (MT)|
|Feb 17 @ Swift Current Broncos||3-1 LOSS||@ Prince Albert Raiders Wednesday March 1||6:00 PM (MT)|
|Feb 18 VS. Edmonton Oil Kings||7-4 WIN||@ Regina Pats Friday March 3||6:00 PM (MT)|
|Feb 21 VS. Moose Jaw Warriors||6-3 LOSS||@ Moose Jaw Warriors Saturday March 4||6:00 PM (MT)|