@ HURRICANES: Tonight the Tigers and Hurricanes will continue their 2nd round series in Game 6 in Lethbridge at the Enmax Centre. Medicine Hat will be facing elimination for the first time this post season. The Hurricanes walked away as Game 5 winners on Friday night with a 5-4 victory. Medicine Hat came within 1 goal late in the third period but couldn’t climb all the way back and now trail 3-2 in the series looking to win 2 straight games to advance.
BY THE NUMBERS
APRIL 16TH, 2017
2016-17 WHL RANKINGS:
LETHBRIDE LEADS SERIES 3-2
Man Games Lost to Injury: 90
16-17 SEASON SERIES VS. CANES
LAST 5 SEASONS: 17-11-1-0
LAST WIN: Mar. 18, 2017 – 8-7
2017 PLAYOFF LEADERS:
GOALS: ZACH FISCHER (6)
ASSISTS: CHAD BUTCHER (8)
POINTS: CHAD BUTCHER (11)
PIM: ZACH FISCHER (22)
PLUS MINUS: CHAD BUTCHER (+7)
WINS: MICHAEL BULLION (6)
16-17 PLAYOFF CLUB COMPARISON:
|PP OVERALL||23.3% (10TH)||24.1% (8TH)|
|PK OVERALL||74.3% (8TH)||73.3% (9TH)|
LAST GAME AT A GLANCE:
- John Dahlstrom recorded an assist on the Tigers second goal, giving the Swede 10 points this post season, which currently leads all WHL rookies
- Max Gerlach scored twice, his first career multi-goal game, Gerlach is on a 4 game point streak heading into tonight, recording 6 points
- Hurricanes rookie Dylan Cozens recorded his first career multi-point game on Friday, recording 2 assists, he has 3 points in 5 games this post season
TIGERS FAST FACTS:
- Since the 2010 season the Tigers are 6-6 in overtime playoff games including last Wednesday’s victory
- John Dahlstrom’s overtime winner was the first playoff OT game winning goal in the post season by a rookie since Emerson Etem in 2010
- The Hurricanes have scored the second most power play goals this post season but have the most power play opportunities with 54 in 12 games (4.5 per game)
DID YOU KNOW?: The Tigers are the only team in the WHL Playoffs that have 2 defenceman with 4 or more goals (Quenneville & Kirichenko)
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The Tigers have won 4 straight Game 6’s dating back to the 2010 playoffs. In all 4 victories the Tigers won the series in either the 6th game or in Game 7. Medicine Hat’s last loss in Game 6 came in the second round of the 2010 Playoffs, April 11th vs. Calgary (3-2 OTL).
26 YEARS IN THE MAKING: Despite playing 7 games during the regular season the Hurricanes franchise and the Tigers have only met once in the post season. Going all the way back to the 1990-91 season, the Tigers were led by Kevin Riehl and Jason Miller with Lethbridge led by Jason Ruff. In that series the Canes would defeat the Tigers in 7 games.
THIS DATE IN PLAYOFF HISTORY: Flashback to the 2011 Playoffs. The Tigers took on the Red Deer Rebels in the 2nd Round. The Tigers visited the Centrium in Game 5 with a 3-1 series lead. Cole Grbavac opened the scoring for the Tigers before the Rebels scored 4 unanswered goals into the third period. The game looked to be heading to Game 6 but the resilient Tigers mounted a comeback. Boston Leier, Linden Vey and Emerson Etem all scored in the final frame. The game went to overtime and Kellan Tochkin scored his 4th of the playoffs in OT to give the Tigers a series victory to the East Final. Both Vey and Etem had 3 point nights.
WHO TO WATCH: Tigers – Max Gerlach: The Texas second year forward is just heating up this post season riding a 4 game point streak and having recorded 6 points over that span. Hurricanes – Tyler Wong: Wong, the catalyst of the Hurricanes offense is currently 3rd in playoff scoring, he also scored twice on Friday.
NHL DRAFTED / SIGNED PLAYERS: Matt Bradley (Montreal Canadiens), Nick Schneider (Calgary Flames), John Dahlstrom (Chicago Blackhawks), David Quenneville (New York Islanders)
|LAST FIVE||RESULTS:||NEXT FIVE:||TIME:|
|Apr 7 VS. Lethbridge Hurricanes||4-0 WIN||@ Lethbridge Hurricanes Sun. April 16 – Game 6||6:00 PM (MT)|
|Apr 8 VS. Lethbridge Hurricanes||7-4 LOSS||VS. Lethbridge Hurricanes Tues. April 18 – Game 7**||7:00 PM (MT)|
|Apr 11 @ Lethbridge Hurricanes||5-2 LOSS|
|Apr 12 @ Lethbridge Hurricanes||3-2 OTW|
|Apr 14 VS. Lethbridge Hurricanes||5-4 LOSS|