The Story Coming In
The Medicine Hat Tigers opened their five game BC road trip by defeating the Victoria Royals 6-3 Saturday night. Captain James Hamblin scored his first career WHL hat trick to help propel the Tigers to victory. After today’s game the Tabbies will head to Prince George to battle the Cougars on Wednesday night and they will finish their BC road trip by playing Kelowna on Friday and Kamloops on Saturday. The Orange and Black are 10-4-1-0 to start the season and they are led by their Captain Hamblin with 20 points (9G, 11A).
Tigers vs. Giants
This afternoon’s game will be the only meeting between these two hockey clubs this season. The last time the Tigers and Giants faced off was January 2nd, 2019, in Medicine Hat with the Tigers coming out on top in a 4-3 victory. Captain James Hamblin had a three-point night (2G, 1A) in the game. Over the past five years, Medicine Hat is 2-2-1-0 against Vancouver.
View from Vancouver
The Vancouver Giants defeated the Tri-City Americans 6-3 at the Toyota Center last night. Today they return home to the Langley Events Centre to host the Medicine Hat Tigers. After tonight’s contest, the Giants will host the Portland Winterhawks on Friday. The Giants are led by 2020 NHL Draft Eligible forward Justin Sourdiff with 16 points (8G, 8A) in 17 games played. Vancouver is 8-8-1-0 and they are currently in 3rd place in the BC Division.
Ryan Chyzowski is a reliable 200-foot player that competes and can shoot the puck hard. The 19-year-old Kamloops product opened the scoring for the Tigers less than a minute into last night’s tilt against the Royals. Chyzowski is the Tigers’ leading goal scorer with 10 so far this season and he is tied for second top point producer for the Orange and Black with linemate Brett Kemp. Both players have 19 points so far this season. Look for Chyzowski to make an impact in tonight’s contest.
James Hamblin is the Tigers’ top point producer with 20 points (9G, 11A) so far this season. In 276 games played for the Orange and Black, the 20-year-old Edmonton native has 88 goals and 124 assists. Hamblin is a fast, skilled, two-way forward who leads his team by example through hard work and tenacity.
- Captain James Hamblin scored his first career WHL hat trick Saturday night against the Victoria Royals.
- Brett Kemp is the only other current Tiger with a WHL hat trick. Kemp scored his hat trick March 13, 2019, vs the Red Deer Rebels in a 7-4 Tigers victory.
- Rookie forward Cole Sillinger was named the WHL Rookie of the Month for October. Sillinger has 17 points (8G, 9A) in 14 games played. He is currently playing for Team White at the U17 World Hockey Challenge.
- Veteran forward Ryan Chyzowski has been selected to play for Team WHL during the CIBC Canada Russia Series. Chyzowski has 19 points (10G, 9A) in 15 games played.
- Five Tigers are currently on multi-game point streaks. Ryan Chyzowski has 16 points (8G, 8A) in his last 10 games played. Brett Kemp has 15 points (2G, 13A) in his last 8 games played. Cole Sillinger has 10 points (4G, 6A) in his last 6 games played. James Hamblin has 4 points (4G) in his last 2 games played. Elijah Brown has 3 points (1G, 2A) in his last 2 games played.
About the Medicine Hat Tigers
The Medicine Hat Tigers are a junior hockey team in the Western Hockey League (WHL) who play out of Medicine Hat, AB and were established in 1970. In 49 seasons of playing major junior hockey, the Tigers have won 2 Scotty Munro Memorial Trophies, as well as, 212 playoff games which led to winning 43 playoff series, raising 33 banners, winning five Ed Chynoweth Cups and two Memorial Cups.