The Story Coming In
The Medicine Hat Tigers returned home after a nine game road trip to host the Edmonton Oil Kings on Saturday night and they won 5-1. Captain James Hamblin picked up four points (2G, 2A) and veteran forward Corson Hopwo picked up three (2G, 1A) in the victory. Saturday’s game was the Tabbies’ first of a four game homestand and with game two happening tonight against the Brandon Wheat Kings. The Orange and Black are 14-6-1-0 and they are led by Hamblin with 33 points (14G, 19A). After tonight the Tigers will host the Moose Jaw Warriors on Friday and the Prince Albert Raiders on Saturday.
Tigers vs. Wheat Kings
For the first time this season, the Tigers will faceoff against the Wheat Kings. Last year the Tabbies were 2-2-0-0 against the Wheat Kings, winning the final two meetings between these two clubs. Over the past five seasons, Medicine Hat is 6-3-3-0 against Brandon and 4-0-2-0 when playing at home.
View from Brandon
The Brandon Wheat Kings will finish a three game road trip tonight in Medicine Hat. They kicked off their road trip by falling 4-3 to the Red Deer Rebels on Saturday before defeating the Edmonton Oil Kings 5-4 in a shootout on Sunday. After tonight they will return home to host the Calgary Hitmen on Friday and the Regina Pats on Saturday. The Wheat Kings are 10-13-0-0 so far this season and they are led by Ben McCartney with 21 points (10G, 11A).
Corson Hopwo has been heating up for the Tigers since the start of November with 8 points (5G, 3A) in 7 games played. The 18-year-old Duncan, BC native brings energy, speed, high hockey IQ and good footwork into every game. He is a skilled, smart forward with a tireless work ethic. Look for Hopwo to make an impact in tonight’s tilt.
Captain James Hamblin is currently leading the league in scoring with 33 points (14G, 19A). The 20-year-old Edmonton product is also tied in third in the league for most goals (14) and tied in fourth for most assists in the league (19). “Jimmy has been outstanding this season. His game is based on effort and execution, both of which he has been doing at a high level. He plays in all situations and has been a consistent player in each game. He has put up points at a but it’s more than stats that make him who he is. One of the most complete players in the league,” said Assistant Coach Ryan Smith.
- The Medicine Hat Tigers and the Brandon Wheat Kings are the only two teams/ cities in WHL franchise history to reach 1,800 wins. The Tabbies reached this milestone November 6th when they defeated the Prince George Cougars. The Wheat Kings reached it Monday, November 11th when they defeated the Winnipeg ICE.
- Four Tigers have multi-game point streaks: James Hamblin has 13 points (5G, 8A) in his last 5 games played, Cole Sillinger has 12 points (5G, 7A) in his last 8 games played, Tyler Preziuso has 8 points (3G, 5A) in his last 5 games played and Corson Hopwo has 6 points (4G, 2A) in his last 4 games played.
- The Tigers’ power play is ranked second in the league (23/91) 25.3% effective while the Wheat Kings’ penalty kill is ranked third in the league (12/90) 86.7% effective.
- After tonight’s contest, the full team will be available on the main concourse in front of the Tigers Souvenir Store to sign autographs.
- The Medicine Hat News Annual Teddy Bear Toss game will be Saturday, November 30th against the Saskatoon Blades.
Fountain Tire 3 Stars
Nominate someone in our community for a Fountain Tire & Tigers 3-Star Experience including $250 gift certificate to Fountain Tire, $200 to the Tigers Souvenir Store, and an in-game presentation to honour them. For more information: www.fountaintire3stars.com
CF Industries Community Corner
CF Industries is a global leader in transforming natural gas into nitrogen. The chemical processes used ensures they have the nitrogen they need to support life on earth – from fertilizer that feeds the crops that feed the world to products that remove harmful emissions from industrial activities.
Alberta Poundand Rescue Centres (APARC) Medicine Hat is the home to stray and lost animals of Medicine Hat. They also offer – adoption, foster and volunteer programs for all ages.
Montana’s BBQ & Bar Birthday Party Package
The Medicine Hat Tigers along with Montana’s BBQ & Bar are excited to introduce Birthday Party Packages this season. There are three different packages that fans can choose from and all packages include two adult tickets and eight child tickets. To inquire about Montana’s BBQ & Bar Birthday Party Packages please call the Tigers Office at 403.526.2666.
About the Medicine Hat Tigers
The Medicine Hat Tigers are a junior hockey team in the Western Hockey League (WHL) who play out of Medicine Hat, AB and were established in 1970. In 49 seasons of playing major junior hockey, the Tigers have won 2 Scotty Munro Memorial Trophies, as well as, 212 playoff games which led to winning 43 playoff series, raising 33 banners, winning five Ed Chynoweth Cups and two Memorial Cups.