The Story Coming In
The Medicine Hat Tigers fell short 4-3 against the Calgary Hitmen in the Sportsnet CHL Saturday Showcase last weekend. It was the Tigers’ first defeat since returning to action from the holiday break. The Tabbies boast a 22-16-1-2 record this season and they are 8-2-0-0 in their last 10 games. The Orange and Black are led by Captain James Hamblin with 49 points (23G, 26A) and veteran forward Ryan Jevne with 40 points (20G, 20A). After tonight’s tilt, the Tigers will host the Edmonton Oil Kings Saturday night at the Canalta Centre.
Tigers vs. Pats
The first contest this season between the Tigers and the Pats was an 8-5 Tigers victory in October. The Tabbies went on to win both December meetings, 3-2 and 4-2 respectively. Tonight’s game will be the final battle this season between these two clubs and Medicine Hat will look to improve the 6-8-0-1 record they have against the Pats over the past five years.
View from Regina
The Regina Pats hosted the Portland Winterhawks on Wednesday and fell 5-2. The Pats are now 12-28-1-1 this season and they are 4-5-1-0 in their last 10 games. Regina is led by veteran forwards Austin Pratt with 34 points (16G, 18A) and Ty Kolle with 17 points (8G, 9A). After tonight’s battle, the Pats will return home to host the Red Deer Rebels.
Cole Clayton is a very competitive defender that plays hard in all three zones. The 18-year-old Strathmore, AB product has great composure with the puck and sees the ice well. Clayton is fearless and he is not afraid to mix it up or block shots. Although he is primarily a stay at home defenceman, Clayton still contributes offensively by making smart plays.
Captain James Hamblin has 17 points (10G, 7A) in the Tigers’ last 11 games. The 19-year-old Edmonton native is the Tigers’ top point producer with 23 goals and 26 assists so far this season. Hamblin was a 2014 first round draft pick of the Tigers and he has since suited up for 235 games, scored 69 goals and picked up 95 assists. The smart, speedy two-way forward leads the Tigers by example with his hard work ethic.
- Tyler Preziuso has 7 points (3G, 4A) in the Tigers’ last 6 games and he picked up his 100th career WHL point on Saturday against the Hitmen.
- Logan Christensen played in his first game with the Orange and Black October 26, 2018, vs the Pats and he scored his first goal for his new team in the 8-5 victory.
- Goaltender Mads Søgaard has been selected to play in the Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospect game Jan 23rd in Red Deer. Søgaard will suit up for Team Cherry and he is ranked as B prospects by NHL Central Scouting. Ryan Chyzowski is ranked as a C prospect.
- Tigers Alumni Kelly Hrudey will coach Team Orr during the Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospect.
- Goaltender Mads Søgaard is ranked 4th in the league for GAA with 2.39 and 3rd in the league for save percentage with 0.931.
- Jaxon Steele scored his first career WHL goal against the Regina Pats during the Tigers’ 8-5 victory on October 26, 2018.
- The Tigers’ Annual ATB Skills Competition will be Tuesday, January 29th at 7:00 p.m. Team Hamblin will take on Team Jevne and it is a suggested $5 donation to the MS Society at the door.
- Daniel Baker leads all Tigers rookies in point with 13 (2G, 11A).
- James Hamblin has the most power-play goals for the Tigers (9) and Ryan Jevne has the most even-strength goals for the Tigers (15). Both Hamblin & Jevne lead the team in shorthanded goals with 2 each.
Boston Pizza is a Canadian casual dining restaurant with more than 380 locations. It was founded in 1964 in Edmonton, AB. There are currently two Boston Pizza locations in Medicine Hat, Box Springs and Strachan Road.
Hut 8 Community Corner
Hut 8 Mining Company is a cryptocurrency mining and blockchain infrastructure company established through an exclusive partnership with the Bitfury Group, the world’s leading full-service blockchain technology company that recently opened in Medicine Hat.
Medicine Hat BMX will be in the Hut 8 Community Corner
The Medicine Hat Tigers are excited to introduce Family Packs this season! Two adult tickets and two children tickets, 4 hot dogs and 4 pops for $69.95. Family packs can be purchased online through Ticketmaster or in person at the box office.
About the Medicine Hat Tigers
The Medicine Hat Tigers are a junior hockey team in the Western Hockey League (WHL) who play out of Medicine Hat, AB and were established in 1970. In 48 seasons of playing major junior hockey, the Tigers have won 2 Scotty Munro Memorial Trophies, as well as, 210 playoff games which led to winning 43 playoff series, raising 33 banners, winning five Ed Chynoweth Cups and two Memorial Cups.