The Story Coming In
The Medicine Hat Tigers won the first game of their home and home series against the Swift Current Broncos last night in a 3-1 contest. The Tabbies are now 8-1-1-0 in their last 10 games improving their record to 25-16-2-2. The Tigers are led by veteran forwards James Hamblin with 54 points (24G, 30A) and Ryan Jevne with 42 points (21G, 21A). After tonight’s tilt, the Tigers won’t be back in action until Friday, January 25th when they travel to Red Deer to battle the Rebels.
Tigers vs. Broncos
For the third time this season, and second in so many nights, the Tigers and the Broncos will face off. The Orange and Black have won both previous meetings by scores of 2-0 and 3-1. Both contests have been played in Swift Current and tonight’s matchup will be the first played at the Canalta Centre this season. The Tigers are 3-3-0-0 at home against the Broncos over the past five years. After tonight, the Tigers and the Broncos will meet for a final time March 2nd in Medicine Hat.
View from Swift Current
The 9-32-2-1 Swift Current Broncos fell 3-1 to the Tigers last night at home. Goaltender Riley Lamb made 43 saves on 46 shots faced while veteran forward Ethan O’Rourke was the lone goal scorer. The Broncos are led by rookie forward Ben King with 23 points (5G, 18A) and veteran Ethan Regnier with 22 points (7G, 15A). The Broncos’ next game after tonight will be Friday, January 25th against the Saskatoon Blades.
Corson Hopwo is the rookie forward playing on the top line for the Tigers alongside Captain James Hamblin and veteran Tyler Preziuso. The 17-year-old Duncan, BC native brings an element of skill, speed and compete level every game. He works hard every shift and continuously looks for ways to improve and contribute. Hopwo has scored in both of the Tabbies’ last two games and will be looking to make an impact in tonight’s contest.
Captain James Hamblin picked up his 99th career WHL assist in last night’s contest against the Broncos. Hamblin is a hard-working two-way forward with a pass-first mentality but who also possess a great scoring touch. This season the 19-year-old Edmonton, AB native has been the Tigers top point producer all year averaging 1.20 points per game. In his career as Tiger, the former first-round bantam pick has suited up for 239 games, scoring 70 goals and picking up 99 assists.
- It is a tight race for the top spot in the Central Division. The Tigers currently sit in 4th place in the Central but they are only 2 points behind the Edmonton Oil Kings who currently sit 1st.
- James Hamblin is the Tigers’ top point producer with 54 points (24G, 30A) and he is ranked 14th in the league.
- Linus Nässén is ranked 12th in the league amongst defenceman. The 20-year-old Florida Panther Draft pick has 5 goals and 29 assists in 40 games this season.
- Daniel Baker is the Tigers’ top rookie with 13 points (2G, 11A).
- Goaltender Mads Søgaard has been selected to play in the Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospect game Jan 23rd in Red Deer. Søgaard will suit up for Team Cherry and he is ranked as B prospects by NHL Central Scouting. Ryan Chyzowski and Brett Kemp are ranked as C prospects.
- Tigers Alumni Kelly Hrudey will coach Team Orr during the Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospect.
- Goaltender Mads Søgaard is ranked 4th in the league for GAA with 2.40 and 2nd in the league for save percentage with 0.931.
- The AMA Skate with the Tigers is Sunday, January 20th from 2 to 3 PM. Everyone is welcome.
- The Tigers’ Annual ATB Skills Competition will be Tuesday, January 29th at 7:00 p.m. Team Hamblin will take on Team Jevne and it is a suggested $5 donation to the MS Society at the door.
- Eric Van Impe is the Tigers’ Academic Achiever of the month of December.
Alberta Motor Association (AMA) is a non-profit membership organization serving Alberta and the Northwest Territories. The organization was founded in 1926 and it is affiliated with the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA). AMA provides its members with roadside assistance service, a range of auto touring and leisure travel services, insurance services and member discounts with partners.
Hut 8 Community Corner
Hut 8 Mining Company is a cryptocurrency mining and blockchain infrastructure company established through an exclusive partnership with the Bitfury Group, the world’s leading full-service blockchain technology company that recently opened in Medicine Hat.
The Medicine Hat Elks Lodge offers a unique opportunity to meet people, experience personal growth and get involved in our community. Elks members contribute through their membership dues, personal donations, volunteer time, participation in charity events and fundraising activities.
The Medicine Hat Tigers are excited to introduce Family Packs this season! Two adult tickets and two children tickets, 4 hot dogs and 4 pops for $69.95. Family packs can be purchased online through Ticketmaster or in person at the box office.
About the Medicine Hat Tigers
The Medicine Hat Tigers are a junior hockey team in the Western Hockey League (WHL) who play out of Medicine Hat, AB and were established in 1970. In 48 seasons of playing major junior hockey, the Tigers have won 2 Scotty Munro Memorial Trophies, as well as, 210 playoff games which led to winning 43 playoff series, raising 33 banners, winning five Ed Chynoweth Cups and two Memorial Cups.