The Story Coming In
This afternoon will be the Medicine Hat Tigers’ third game in three days after playing a home and home series against the Swift Current Broncos. The Tigers travelled to Swift Current Friday night and defeated the Broncos 2-0. On Saturday they returned home to the Canalta Centre and won 10-1. Eight different Tigers scored during Saturday night’s tilt while rookie goaltender Garin Bjorklund stopped 32 of 33 shots faced.
Tigers vs. Hitmen
Today’s game marks the first of six meetings between these two hockey clubs this season. The last time the Tabbies defeated the Hitmen was November 4th, 2018, in a close 5-4 contest. Captain James Hamblin was the Tigers’ top point producer against the Hitmen last year with 9 points (1G, 8A) in 6 games played. Over the past five years, Medicine Hat is 15-7-2-0 against Calgary.
View from Calgary
The Calgary Hitmen are on a two game winning streak after defeating the Edmonton Oil Kings 4-3 in overtime Friday night and the Red Deer Rebels 5-1 on Saturday. Veteran forward Riley Stotts scored a natural hat trick Saturday night. After this afternoon’s contest, the Hitmen won’t be back in action until next Sunday against the Portland Winterhawks.
Tyler Preziuso had a banner year last season setting new career highs in all offensive categories (21G, 29A) and he will be looking to build on that this season. The 20-year-old Victoria native is a smooth skating, well rounded forward with an explosive first step. He has scored in the Tigers’ last two games. Look for Preziuso’s hard work to have an impact on this afternoon’s tilt.
Captain James Hamblin has five points (2G, 3A) in four games heading into this afternoon’s contest. Last season, the 20-year-old Edmonton native was the Tigers’ top point producer with 77 points (33G, 44A) in 67 games. Hamblin is a speedy, skilled two-way forward who leads the Tigers with tenacity and hard work.
- Bryan Lockner is tied for the top goal scorer in the WHL with 4 goals in 4 games.
- The Tigers’ penalty kill is ranked number one in the league with (0/10) 100% effectiveness.
- This afternoon’s game will be Ryan Chyzowski’s 200th career WHL game played. Chyzowski has 55 goals and 67 assists heading into it.
- Tyler Preziuso’s first career WHL goal was against the Calgary Hitmen December 19, 2015. It was the game tying goal in an eventual 7-5 Tigers win.
- Corson Hopwo’s first career WHL goal was against the Calgary Hitmen November 4th, 2018. Hopwo opened the scoring for the Tabbies in their lone regulation win against the Hitmen last year.
- The Home Depot Street Hockey game with the Tigers is this Tuesday, October 1st from 6:30 to 8:30 PM
About the Medicine Hat Tigers
The Medicine Hat Tigers are a junior hockey team in the Western Hockey League (WHL) who play out of Medicine Hat, AB and were established in 1970. In 49 seasons of playing major junior hockey, the Tigers have won 2 Scotty Munro Memorial Trophies, as well as, 212 playoff games which led to winning 43 playoff series, raising 33 banners, winning five Ed Chynoweth Cups and two Memorial Cups.