The Story Coming In
The Medicine Hat Tigers put in two strong performances this past weekend defeating the Calgary Hitmen 5-1 Friday and the Edmonton Oil Kings 4-1 Saturday. Leading the charge offensively were veteran forwards Brett Kemp with five points (1G, 4A), Ryan Chyzowski with four points (2G, 2A) and Captain James Hamblin with three points (all assists). Ottawa Senators goaltending prospects Mads Søgaard stopped a total of 64 out of 66 shots faced throughout both games to collect the wins. The Orange and Black are now 40-19-2-1 and they are led by Hamblin with 91 points (36G, 55A). After tonight’s game against the Rebels, they will travel to Swift Current Friday for the first game of a home and home series with the Broncos this weekend.
Tigers vs. Rebels
For the fifth time this season, the Tigers will take on the Rebels. The Orange and Black are 2-1-1-0 against the Rebels and the last time they won was Nov 15, 2019, in a 4-3 shootout. Jonathan Brinkman scored the game winning goal that game. In their head to head series this season, Captain James Hamblin is the Tabbies’ leading scorer against the Rebels with seven points (3G, 4A). Over the past five years, Medicine Hat is 15-6-1-0 against Red Deer and 7-3-1-0 when playing at home. After tonight, these two Central Division Rivals will meet one more time next Tuesday at the Westerner Park Centrium.
View from Red Deer
The Red Deer Rebels finished off a five game homestand by defeating the Swift Current Broncos 4-3 in overtime on Saturday. Ben King scored the game winning goal for the Rebels in extra time. During their homestand, the Rebels went 3-2-0-0 and they are now 23-33-2-3 this season. Arshdeep Bains is the Rebels’ leading scorer with 50 points (17G, 33A) so far. After tonight, Red Deer will travel to Swift Current to play the Broncos Wednesday before returning home Saturday for the first game in a home and home series with Calgary.
Captain James Hamblin has set new career bests in all offensive categories with 91 points (36G, 55A). The 20-year-old Edmonton product is the Tigers’ top scorer and he is currently third in league scoring. Hamblin is a hardworking, smart, two-way forward who leads his team by example. He is a fierce forechecker, an offensive generator and he is heavily relied upon in all situations by the coaches and his teammates. Hamblin also excels at even strength play with 63 points (28G, 35A) of his points coming during five on five play. Look for the Tigers’ second year Captain to make an impact in tonight’s tilt.
- Baxter Anderson will turn 20 years old tomorrow (March 11th)
- Veteran forward Ryan Chyzowski collected his 100th career WHL assist on Friday night against the Calgary Hitmen.
- Veteran forward Brett Kemp collected his 100th career WHL assist on Saturday night against the Oil Kings.
- For the 22nd time in franchise history, the Tigers have won 40 games.
- Three Tigers are currently on multi-game point streaks:
- Captain James Hamblin has seven points (1G,6A) in the last five games
- Ryan Chyzowski has seven points (5G, 2A) in the last three games
- Brett Kemp has five points (1G, 4A) in the last two games
- Tigers Alumni Mark Rassell and the University of New Brunswick Men’s Hockey team won the Atlantic University Sport (AUS) Championship after defeating Acadia last Friday night. They will play the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds Friday, Mar 13th for the 2020 University Cup Quarter Finals in Halifax, NS.
- The Tigers played their WHL Suits Up to Promote Organ Donation Presented by RE/MAX game on Saturday. The jerseys from the game are currently being auctioned off online at 32auctions.com/MHT-HNIC and the auction closes Wed, Mar 11 at 7:30 PM.
- Shortly after the conclusion of tonight’s game, Cole Clayton, Noah Danielson, Damon Agyeman, Garin Bjorklund and Cole Sillinger will be signing autographs in front of the Tigers Souvenir Store.
- Tigers’ legendary play by play announcer Bob Ridley is set to call his 4,000th Tigers game on March 14th when the Tabbies host the Swift Current Broncos.
Save on Foods is a chain of supermarkets owned and operated in Western Canada. Save-On-Foods operates 110 stores in British Columbia, 39 in Alberta, six in Saskatchewan, three in Manitoba and one in the Yukon Territory.
CF Industries Community Corner
CF Industries is a global leader in transforming natural gas into nitrogen. The chemical processes used ensures they have the nitrogen they need to support life on earth – from fertilizer that feeds the crops that feed the world to products that remove harmful emissions from industrial activities.
Saamis Immigration Services is a nonprofit organization dedicated to assisting newcomers in the integration, adjustment and resettlement in Canada for the last 32 plus years. They provide a support system which fosters individual and family needs in an environment of equality and dignity. They also provide full-time language instruction classes, settlement services, and support workers in the school system for newcomer families.
Montana’s BBQ & Bar Birthday Party Package
The Medicine Hat Tigers along with Montana’s BBQ & Bar are excited to introduce Birthday Party Packages this season. There are three different packages that fans can choose from and all packages include two adult tickets and eight child tickets. To inquire about Montana’s BBQ & Bar Birthday Party Packages please call the Tigers Office at 403.526.2666.
About the Medicine Hat Tigers
The Medicine Hat Tigers are a junior hockey team in the Western Hockey League (WHL) who play out of Medicine Hat, AB and were established in 1970. In 49 seasons of playing major junior hockey, the Tigers have won 2 Scotty Munro Memorial Trophies, as well as, 212 playoff games which led to winning 43 playoff series, raising 33 banners, winning five Ed Chynoweth Cups and two Memorial Cups.