The Story Coming In
The Medicine Hat Tigers are coming off a weekend sweep of the Lethbridge Hurricanes and currently sit in second spot in the Central Division after claiming a 3-0 shutout on Friday, a 6-3 win in Lethbridge on Saturday and 5-4 OT win on Sunday to collect the six points. Leading the way offensively for the Tigers was Captain Ryan Chyzowski who has collected at least a point in each of the Tigers first 10 games of the season and 14 dating back to last season. Tabbies Netminder Garin Bjorklund picked up his first shutout of the season on Friday and improved his record to 5-3 on the season.
The Calgary Hitmen currently sit third in the Central Division after having been the first team to hand the Edmonton Oil Kings a defeat, claiming a 2-1 hard fought win to close out their three game weekend series. Riley Stotts led the offensive charge for the Hitmen registering two goals in three games, including the game winning goal on Sunday.
Tigers vs. Hitmen
This will be the fourth meeting of the season between these two clubs as the Tigers currently hold a 2-1 lead in the season series. The Tigers are currently on a three game winning streak and are 7-3-0-0 in their past 10 games, while the Hitmen are 4-5-1. Medicine Hat’s Powerplay has been electric all season long going 16/41 (39%) which is currently 1st in the Central Division and 2nd in the Western Hockey League to the Prince George Cougars who have only played two games thus far in the young season. The Tigers Penalty Kill has been successful 81.1% of the time which is good enough for 7th in the WHL, while the Hitmen are near the bottom of the table currently in 21st position.
View from Calgary
The Calgary Hitmen are coming off a huge 2-1 win against the Central Division leading Edmonton Oil Kings and have been in five, one goal games so far this season. Josh Prokop leads the Pink and Black attack in scoring with 10 points (4G, 6A) in 11 games. Tyson Galloway sits second with 3 goals and 4 assists, while rookie forward Tristan Zandee is third in team scoring with 1 goal and 6 assists through 11 games. Between the pipes, Brayden Peters is sporting a 3.16 GAA and a .913 SV% with a record of 4-3-0-0.
Medicine Hat Tigers defenceman Cole Clayton currently leads the Tabbies in scoring with six goals and 12 assists in 10 games so far in the 2020-2021 campaign. The Tigers overage defenceman is currently tied for second in the Western Hockey League with 18 points. Captain Ryan Chyzowski is averaging 1.5 PPG this season has five goals and 10 assists, while overage forward Brett Kemp is tied for second in team scoring, also averaging 1.5 PPG netting the same five goals and 10 assists as Chyzowski.
Returning to the Tigers for his overage season is first year Captain, Ryan Chyzowski. Chyzowski, a former 1st round bantam draft pick has played his entire career for the Tigers appearing in 267 regular season games for the Orange and Black. Chyzowski crushed his career best totals in 2019-2020, notching 34 goals and adding in 35 helpers for 69 points. Chyzowski is a high energy player with great hands and a dynamite shot.
- Forward Lukas Svejkovksy was drafted in the 4th round of the 2020 NHL entry draft by the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Goaltender Garin Bjorklund was selected in the 6th round of the 2020 NHL entry draft by the Washington Capitals.
- Corson Hopwo recorded his first career WHL Hat Trick vs the Rebels on February 26, 2021
- Cole Clayton recorded his first career WHL Hat Trick vs the Hitmen on March 12, 2021
- Oasiz Wiesblatt scored his first career WHL Goal vs the Rebels on February 27, 2021
- Brayden Boehm also scored his first career WHL goal vs the Rebels on February 27, 2021
- Luke Rybinski had his first career WHL point (assist) on March 12, 2021
- Beckett Langow made his 1st career start and earned his 1st WHL victory on March 13, 2021
- Ryan Chyzowski has an 14 game point streak (12G, 12A) dating back to the 2019-2020 season.
- Oren Shtrom recoded his first career WHL Goal vs the Hurricanes with an OT marker on March 28, 2021
- Tigers GM & Head Coach Willie Desjardins needs only 5 wins to become the all-time franchise leader in wins by a head coach.
About the Medicine Hat Tigers
The Medicine Hat Tigers are a junior hockey team in the Western Hockey League (WHL) who play out of Medicine Hat, AB and were established in 1970. In 50 seasons of playing major junior hockey, the Tigers have won 2 Scotty Munro Memorial Trophies, as well as, 212 playoff games which led to winning 43 playoff series, raising 33 banners, winning five Ed Chynoweth Cups and two Memorial Cups.